How to Get Your Playbook Together - Step 2Oct 28, 2021
Welcome back,team! In my last post we started to get down to the nitty gritty of your team’s Playbook. Once you start asking the right questions and determining the answers for your company, you’ve got to make sure all the players are on the same page. Step two is all about getting the team together and asking the following five Playbook questions:
- What game do we play? This is your purpose or your mission. Notice that in the case of sports, only one word is necessary to define the game. Many mission statements drone on and on. Keep it simple (just a few words) so people know what your team does. What is your mission?
- What championship are we trying to win? This is your vision of what you hope to achieve. Again, in the case of sports this is usually a single, simple, but very tangible outcome. In a business context, the championship might be bottom-line growth, market expansion, industry recognition, or an efficiency measure. What outcome or vision is everyone on your team shooting for?
- What must be achieved to win the championship? These are the goals that must be achieved in order to win. In football, teams must win more games than other teams to get to the Super Bowl. The offense must score more goals. The defense must keep other teams from scoring. The goals are clear to each team member. What goals must your team members achieve in order to attain your vision?
- How will we keep score? This is how you track your progress to make sure you are on target toward achieving your vision and goals. In sports, a large scoreboard is visible by all. They know how they’re doing every minute. How will you keep score?
- What differentiates us from other teams? These differentiators are your core values. They define your brand, workplace culture, and the behaviors your team must demonstrate to be successful in your organization. What are your organization’s differentiators or values?
The answers to these questions are all it takes to create a Playbook that will guide your entire team’s actions going forward. Work with your team using these questions to write your Playbook. It builds purpose. It builds clarity. It builds collaboration. So, now it’s time to perform - ready, break!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.